Join us! For the Hāna Ag Roadshow
& Hāna Food Launch Tasting Event Challenge
Brought to you by: UHMC Maui Food Innovation Center (MFIC), UH Manoa College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR), Maui Office of Economic Development, Maui Department of Health, Hana Business Council, Hana Farmers Union United (HFUU) – Hana Chapter, Hana Farmers Market, Ma Ka Hana Ke ‘Ike, Hana School, UHMC Hana Education Center, Hana County Council Office
Saturday, August 8, 2020
Featuring a presentation of Agricultural & Educational Resources,
Food Innovators & Awards
Online Hāna Roadshow Webinar
11am – 12:30pm
Stay Tuned! Registration for the online webinar will open at the end of July!
** Event program subject to change dependent upon COVID-19 protocols.
We are excited to extend an opportunity to the food entrepreneurs of East Maui! Work with our team of educators and support agencies to take your agricultural innovations to the next level!
The MFIC Hāna Roadshow team will do FREE assessments and provide a Farm/Product report for up to 10 applicants, and extend an invitation to a Hāna Food Launch Tasting Event; with the Top 3 submissions being selected to receive educational or certification support and awards, and an invitation to participate within the July 25th webinar event.
Get your submission in early!
MFIC Hāna Roadshow Webinar will feature:
- Welcome by UHMC Chancellor Lui Hokoana & East Maui Representatives
- MFIC Overview & Introduction of Panelists and Food Entrepreneurs
- Overview of Assessments of Value-Added Products facilitated by MFIC team
- Moderated Q & A
- Areas of support available from farm to production
- Product development
- Market and distribution resources
- Awards & Mahalo!
Hana Food Launch Tasting Event Challenge
Applicants will receive:
- A Product Report that includes guidance and direction from our team, providing recommendations for:
- Educational opportunities
- Necessary certifications around safe food handling (DOH Green Placard), and business and tax guidelines
- Distribution channels and product and business scalability insight
- FREE Assessment Event the night before the webinar: A sensory evaluation of product concepts, to occur the afternoon of Friday, August 7 from 4:30 to 7 pm for all applicants.
- Top 3 applicants (of 10 max) will be recipients of supplemental support for classes at the University of Hawai‘i and/or business coaching dependent upon the applicant’s need.
- Download and fill in the LINKED APPLICATION.
- Contact with any questions, and return submissions via email to Gary Albitz at Maui College – firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than Saturday, July 29, 2020.
Applicants will get a confirmation of receipt when their submissions are accepted, and the reports on your products will be returned by July 29, with selected Top 3 nominees contacted to extend award offer and event information.
Our Panelists Include Experts in the following areas: 1. Agricultural Support Services UH Manoa College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources: Kylie Tavares Links: CTAHR Farm Food Safety Website, GET Local Program Website 2. Community Events and Programs Hawai‘i Farmers Union United, Hana Chapter / Hana Farmers Market: Kari Hagedorn - Vendor-Venue Coordinator & Scott Crawford - Technical Coordinator Links: Farm & Producer Resources on the Hāna Farmer's Market website Hana School: Chris Sanita - Principal Ma Ka Hāna Ka ‘Ike: Lipoa Kahaleuahi - Executive Director 3. Business Development, Safe food handling education and certification training Support Services County of Maui - Office of Economic Development: Ka'eo Patrick Ornellas HFUU - Farm Apprentice Mentoring Program: Gary Albitz - FAM Mentor & UHMC MFIC Instructor 4. Value-Added Food Production (Labeling, Marketing, Green Certification to bring products to market) and Educational Resources Hawai‘i Department of Health - Michael Gurney University of Hawai‘i Maui College - Chancellor Lui Hokoana Office of Extended Learning and Workforce Development (ELWD): T. Karen Hanada, MBA, CELTA, LERN CPP Maui Food Innovation Center: Chris Speere - Associate Professor / Coordinator & Food Specialist at UH Maui College Ira Uradomo - Facility Coordinator Greg Cabanting - UHMC Instructor Links: Hawai‘i Administrative Rules Title 11 Department of Health Chapter 50 Food Safety Code FROM HANA: Hāna Education Center - UH Maui College - University of Hawai‘i - Fawn Helekahi-Burns Additional Participants: Maui No Ka Oi Magazine: Becky Speere - Food Editor MFIC Graduates: Tina Kekoolani George Kahumoku Monica Bogar FROM HANA: Hāna Business Council, Board Members: Gary Chow – Hana Feast Catering & Events Marni Aina – Manager, Traavasa Hotel Hāna Maui Duane Lammers – Manager, Hana Ranch Heidi Lea – Shenanigans Design, Event 'MC'